An insight into the pros and cons of merging graphic design and website development projects.
I am often asked by potential clients shopping around for a website developer whether I am happy to work with their graphic designer in the development of a new website for their business. The answer is usually yes and I have worked with graphic designers on many occasions.
An example of this style of project was when I developed a new website for Australian genealogy researchers, Beneficiary Finders.
The business owner had employed a graphic designer to create a logo and brand layout for the business. The client was very exacting in what she wanted so asked her graphic designer to create static design mockups of each webpage. My job was to turn these into a functioning website.
The benefits of working with an external graphic designer
- The client gets exactly what they want in every aspect of the design of their website.
- The website is on-brand and in keeping with the rest of their marketing and advertising material.
Hurdles that may arise when working with an external graphic designer
- Some graphic designers don’t have any website development experience and not understand that a flat image created in Photoshop may be very difficult to interpret into an interactive web format.
- There may need to be some flexibility in the design to ensure the website displays correctly across all computers and devices (PCs, laptops, tablets, mobile phones, etc).
- Google has strict requirements that must be adhered to in order to achieve a top search engine ranking and will penalises websites that don’t follow these guidelines. Graphic designers need to be aware of this and concepts which slow down website load times or cause problems for Google need to be omitted.
In conclusion, I don’t have any reservations about working with other members of the design industry. I find it’s an opportunity to share ideas and stay abreast of new concepts. It’s also an opportunity to expand my network and, above all, do whatever is necessary to keep the client happy.
No graphic designer? No worries!
For clients who don’t have a graphic designer, I have 20+ years graphic design experience so it’s not a requirement to add the additional expense of employing another professional to complete the development of your website.
Fast website design quotes
I have been providing specialist website development, SEO and internet marketing services for businesses of all shapes and sizes since 1996. One of my most distinguishing points of difference over other website development companies is the advice, knowledge and expertise I provide my clients at no additional cost. I don’t see my role as simply your website developer or graphic designer. I work in conjunction with you to determine who your clients are, where they can be found and how we can ensure your marketing message speaks directly to potential customers. I want your business to get noticed and your level of enquiries to increase exponentially. My affordable all-inclusive packages include website development, SEO (Google ranking), keyword research, domain name registration, website hosting and unlimited email addresses.
If you would like more information about my web design services and how I can help your business get to the top of the search engines (and stay there), please don’t hesitate to contact me anytime.